Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Notes from the life o Lu

So bedtime has been a new adventure these last couple weeks. We're getting into a rhythm though (knock on wood). The hardest part for me right now is not laughing while pretending to sleep next to Lu's crib as she settles herself to sleep. She frequently checks in on me peeking out to see if I'm still "boring and asleep". And then she goes back about her business rearranging the lions (her two lovies), her blanket or seeing how loud a clucking noise she can make while in the downward dog position.

A few nights ago she did a little experiment to see if I really was asleep. She stood up, peeked over and then "bombs away" dropped Calvin (the fuzzy lion) directly onto my head. I played it cool and didn't move. She got bored and rolled away. A few minutes later she realized, "Crap, my lion is outside the crib. I'll just reach out and pull him back in." So out comes this little hand inches from my face. I'm practically having a seizure trying not to laugh as she starts hoisting the lion back in. It was the classic cookie jar situation though. Small slot. Big lion. I'm lying there trying to decide which would be better a) help her and give away that I'm not really asleep or b) have her tug and tug until she breaks down crying. I decided to help her and she was delighted that her little experiment worked. "Mom's awake and wants to play." As soon as Calvin was safely back in the crib, Hobbes (the other lion) came flying over the ramparts. Lots of pretend sleeping ensued. Sorry kid, it's bedtime.

1 comment: