Sunday, November 27, 2011

Felting phase 1

I'm taking a felting class through community ed. It's been super fun. And turns out that the instructor is another Pioneer Valley grad (Hampshire). Don't find many around these parts so that's fun. The end result of our project will be a pair of slippers. I'll keep you posted on how that goes. We practiced the whole process and made a small piece of felt to start.
Raw wool. Yes, that IS sheep poop in there. I'm impressed you knew that without smelling it.

Washing the wool.

Clean(ish) wool. I washed it again after this.
We carded it, felting it and ended up with a finished piece of wool about the size of a sheet of paper.

A star cut from my finished practice piece of wool. Looks pretty good!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I think my New Year's Resolution will be to learn a crafty hobby. I'm thinking knitting, crochet, or - if I'm super ambitious - quilting. Felting would be another great project.

    ReplyDelete